Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Review: Sonic Classic Collection (Nintendo DS)



Welcome to the very first blog review from AllieRX. Since it's gonna take a while for my AKI Pro Wrestling 64 to be released, and since it would take longer to finish if I made another video review before I even finish, I thought it would be a good idea to do blog reviews in the meantime. And my first choice for my blog review is none other than Sonic Classic Collection for the DS.

I did this because I got so many requests from comments on my Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis review since DS emulators are pissing me the fuck off and since I don't have a good camera (although I THINK my iPhone, which I just got, MAY actually record DS gameplay footage in good quality), the best way for me to do this is via a blog.



Anyway, let's get on with the review. It's not gonna be too long though.


To recap a bit from my Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis review, I said that I've always wanted to play Sonic 1 on the go, but as you know....THE GAME FUCKING SUCKED! And at the end of the review, I recommend either the Sega Nomad version (despite it's HORRIBLE battery life) and Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP for the best portable versions of Sonic 1. Well now there's another way to play a good portable version of Sonic 1, and it's on the Game Boy Advance's successor, the Nintendo DS.


In Sonic Classic Collection, not only do you get to play Sonic 1 on the go, you also get to play Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and all of the lock-on games (EXCEPT Blue Sphere) when you insert Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 on the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge. All for the affordable price of $19.99 (That's the price now, but it was $29.99 when I got it in March). You also get to see some illustrations of the Sonic characters and play the game in different languages, but obviously that's not why most of us wanted this game. I just wanted to throw that in there.


Unlike the GODAWFUL GBA port of Sonic 1, all of these games are emulated and yes, it plays REALLY well. The emulation isn't perfect though, as there are some extremely minor framerate drops, minor glitches, and some of the BGM in certain Sonic games are a little different, but it's LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than what Sonic Genesis on the GBA pulled off, with its HORRIBLE lag, glitches left and right, and PAINFUL remade music.

Also, I think the minor glitches kinda help a little in the special stages of Sonic 2, 3, and Sonic & Knuckles. Not that they were bad or anything on the original Sega Genesis (MegaDrive if you live outside the U.S./Canada/Puerto Rico), but they were some pretty hard bonus stages, especially the annoying spike traps in the last two special stages in Sonic 2.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same Sonic games you've played on the Genesis/MegaDrive, so it's guaran-damn-teed that you're gonna enjoy it. Hell, I've been playing this game a lot....that was until bought Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbaride - Card Battle Taisen, but that's beside the point. I highly recommend it for all Sonic fans alike and I give this game a Gold.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading my blog review and there will be more blog reviews in the neat future, so stay tuned.


AKI Pro Wrestling 64 Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment